This position serves as the Senior Business Engineer for the new campus-wide Registration system for Required Training and Outreach and Engagement. This position will act as the chief architect and senior technical resource for the University’s Outreach and Required Training Registration System (being built on the Mendix Application Platform as a Service (aPaaS) solution) and will aid in the design of the underlying data model. The Senior Business Engineer will work with campus stakeholders and IT colleagues to design, build and maintain functionality for the Registration system. This position will also help to set the technical direction of the team, as well as lead code reviews. The Senior Business Engineer will work to improve the experience and understanding of the team through mentoring and coaching.
• Thorough understanding of the software development life cycle, including but not limited to customer requirements gathering, data modelling, application analysis, development, testing, documentation, system acceptance and post migration validation. Experience in the design and programming of software from its inception.
• Experience in integrations, migrations, and/or ETL in relation to large data sets.
• Experience with object modeling, or object oriented design, techniques and tools.
• Experience providing operational support (e.g., troubleshooting reported issues, identifying root problems, developing solutions)
• Possess strong judgment, leadership, communication, diplomacy, collaboration, and organization skills.
• Ability to interact positively and communicate appropriately with team members, campus representatives, and customers.
• Experience in serving as a vendor technical contact (reporting technical issues to vendor, working with vendor as necessary to troubleshoot problems and/or deploy solutions, etc.) including metrics development and risk mitigation.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills and the ability to interact professionally with a diverse group, executives, managers, and subject matter experts.
Preferred Years Experience, Skills, Training and Education
• Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or Computer Engineering is preferred, but not required.
• Experience working in the Agile Software Development model preferred, but not required.
• Experience developing web services, web service APIs, as well as implementing code to consume existing APIs is preferred, but not required.
• Java and/or SQL development experience is a plus.
• Experience in visual programming preferred, but not required.
• Experience working in the Mendix Application Platform preferred, but not required.